As we approach the end of one of the most remarkable weeks any of us can remember, we wanted to update you with all the developments from the Society. Here’s the latest:
- Based on the latest government directive, we’ll be closing all of our venues as of 7pm this evening. They will then be closed until further notice.
- Our Glasgow, Vaults, and Queen Street Members’ Rooms will be open as a bottle shop only from 12-6pm on Saturday, 21st March.
- We are looking into options to set up a regular ‘Bottle Shop’ service from both our Edinburgh Members’ Rooms and from 38 Bath Street in Glasgow. Details to follow as soon as we’re ready.
- Members’ tastings and any other events are now cancelled across the country as of tomorrow. Anyone who was booked into a tasting should have already heard from us about the change in plans and follow our instructions, but if you are unsure, please contact the Member Services team.
- We want to continue to bring our community of whisky lovers together as much as possible, even if it’s only online, and are actively organising online tastings and events to keep everyone’s spirits up and share drams from the safety of our homes.
- We’ll soon be making five-dram Discovery Packs available which you can enjoy at home while tuned in to a tasting hosted by one of our ambassadors. These will be issued free to those who purchased an event ticket, and instructions on how to redeem the pack and join us online will be confirmed as soon as we finalise them.
- If you’d prefer not to join the virtual tasting, you can contact our Member Services team and we will refund your ticket price.
- Our online shop is open for business as normal and our shelves are well stocked. The Tasting Panel has already held its first session by videoconference to select future drams. We don’t anticipate any issues right now with online orders and deliveries, so grab some comforting drams and share them in the comfort of your own home. Remember you can print out your own Society home tasting kit at https://www.smws.com/blog/news/download-your-own-society-home-tasting-kit/
- Our Members Services team are working remotely but have everything in place to deal with enquiries and emails. They’re busier than ever though, so please bear that in mind when you’re waiting for a response.
- We are working on launching our ‘Online Members’ Room’ hub as soon as possible to keep you all updated with information about virtual tastings, whisky reviews, features, podcasts and interactive online chats – we’ll be doing everything we can to keep you up-to-date, entertained and engaged with the Society, with each other and with our whisky. Look out for stimulating content coming your way every day with the hashtag #alltogethersmws
That’s all for now. Look after each other and be kind,
Friday, 20 March 2020